Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Greatest Change Comes From Within!

Jen and I just went and saw The Errand of Angels together and it brought many tears to my eyes as I reminisced about my mission to the Philippines. It seemed to follow my mission almost exactly, Sister Taylor had only 4 companions and 3 areas. I had 5 companions and 3 areas. Each of them she learned something special, but with Sister Keller she learned that it comes from within! I think I learned that lesson with Sister Santos and Sister Salvania. (I obviously hadn't learned it the first time and still needed some teaching!) Both wonderful women and taught me so much! I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to serve with them and come out better because of the trials and challenges that I faced. Bear with me as I walk down memory lane...I loved my mission and miss it a lot! I try to keep in touch with many and am glad to know that I have touched many people's lives. It was an wonderful experience to know that I was being an instrument in the Lord's hands and have the spirit testify through me. I haven't kept track of all of the investigators/converts/less-actives however the ones that I do know about are doing well! Jen Cosino was baptized the Saturday after I transferred. It was an emotional time leaving the area because I had been there so long, but it was wonderful while it lasted. She has now been married for time and all eternity in the Manila Philippines Temple to the ward mission leader that I served with in Pajo. Truly amazing! A less-active family that I helped reactivate is doing well and serving in stake and ward callings. My very last Sunday on the mission Bro. and Sis. Melendez quietly approached me to tell me of their news. They had just gotten their temple recommends renewed! They went to Manila shortly there after having not been in 5 years! The Lord works in mysterious ways! Serving the Lord and the Filipino's for 18 months was such a miracle for me! My testimony grew in tremendous ways and I worked hard to have no regrets! I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and that Jesus is my Redeemer! Missionary work is awesome!

(Below): This is my trainer Sister Balita, and my lifesaver Sister Hamson. Sister Balita was incredibly patient with me as I struggled to learn the language and love the people. She taught me all there is to know about serving a mission..."forget yourself and go to work!" What a great example!
(Above): This is one of the districts from Pajo, bugoy kaayo! Sister Santos was my second companion.
(Above): Sister Jumao-as, we also served in Pajo together and I loved every second of it! We had such a great time together and many successes!

(Above): Nanay and Tatay Duero, Pajo Ward. They are pioneers on Mactan Island and used to walk to church with their little children across the bridge to Mandaue. It is about 6 miles. AMAZING! Thank heavens there is now a church not too far from their home now.

(Below): Sister Salvania, my final companion in Pajo. She turned 66 while I served with her and she loved being a missionary!

(Above): Sister Vera Cruz was my last companion in my last area. She is amazing and we had a blast together while teaching many! She kept me going strong to the end!

(Below): All of the American Sisters on the mission, Sis. Pressler, Me, Olpin and Watterson. Love you all!

"And no one can assist in this work except she shall be humble and full of love, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be entrusted to his care."
~D&C 12:8

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great post, thanks for walking us down memory lane. It makes me so excited to serve a mission one day! Hopefully I don't have to learn asoighaoeitgh or whatever language it was that you learned ;)

Serena said...

i miss the mission even more now after reading this and going to the reception. Please, lets go back to the Philippines right now!

Haley said...

I love hearing mission stories. Now I want to hear your review on the movie. Did you like it? Was it God's Army-ish or Best Two Years-ish?

Heidi and Josch said...

how fun to see you and amy in a pix together. do you keep in touch with her at all?
im glad you made a blog...thanks for letting me know!

Heidi and Josch said...

a 66 year old companion?!? I've never known anyone with that experience!

Melissa said...

I found your blog through a mission friend on facebook. I also served in the Cebu Mission, it was so long ago ('97-'99) and I feel so distant from the people I love. Thanks for posting about your mission and somehow closing that distance for me, I can see the work moves on. Did you ever serve on Negros (Amlan), Cebu City 1st Ward or Toledo? I've lost contact with just about everyone (pre-email for Filipinos) and have often wondered how they are doing.